Sunday, April 19, 2009

How to 'score' in MUET and other examinations. - Part 1

I personally feel that examinations reflect little of the learning that has happened. It's easy to beat the system if and when the way testing is implemented and scored plays to your inherent abilities yet it is a nightmare if it doesn't. A lot of research has been done in this regard; about how IQ tests and standard examinations measure only a very narrow definition of learning, a measurement that has very wide repercussions.

But here's a heads-up that 'scorers' take for granted : think like an examiner.

I first began teaching this theory when I realized, no matter how much learning I am trying to encourage my Chinese-school students to explore,to lay the foundation of exponential, autonomous, language learning that can transcend all levels of their life, they were still fixated on the importance of examinations. Teaching English, I keep telling them that NOBODY looks at your SPM score in English when you're say, an undergraduate or looking for part-time employment after school. I say nobody gives a care anymore whether you get an A1, A2 or B3 because the standard of SPM examinations, particularly for English, has gone so low that it's no longer a valid benchmark of achievement for English anymore. The reading and writing requirements and marking is so low it's really more like taking a Standard 3 test.

Something is only of value if a majority of people agree with you what it is. It's like money - everyone has to agree to the value of a certain currency for it function as a medium of exchange. Even if you have "A1" printed on your SPM certificate, it's not valuable because the Industry in Malaysia and overseas don't see any intrinsic or extrinsic value in it.

One student, who was so far the 'top-scorer' in class and particularly ambitious, ganged up with a few others and went to the Headmistress to try and get me fired. She said I was being irresponsible because I did not give them 'past-year' questions and mark every error in their essays. When I caught wind of this, I said, "Your tuition teacher is already giving you a lot of copyright infringing material to practise. You've been doing this since you were in primary school and I'm not preventing you from asking your super-tuition teacher to come and be a schoolteacher. If you had been so successful in this mode of learning, you would not feel so much pressure in my class. You're feeling the pressure because years and years of your learning has failed you and you are afraid of this form of actual learning."

I think stupid people behave irrationally because they don't know they are being stupid in that particular thing. They are driven by Fear and Fear makes us do very stupid things. Fear of a wrinkle puts us at grave risks on the plastic surgeon's table. Fear of our spouse cheating on us erodes the trust and sacredness of our Love. I can totally relate to that student and her gang's stupidity because I behave stupidly sometimes in life too. I know it is driven by a sense of lacking, insecurity, fear. Her stupidity is most obvious from the fact that she challenged someone without using proper logic. I made an ass of myself when I ass-u-me-d that Science students know how to apply the scientific approach also to life. There I was, not only a qualified and experienced second language teacher, but using logic, theory and practise to explain my approaches on top of being proficient in both the written and oral form of the target language. And there she was, campaigning to get me removed.

So in the end I told myself that it's useless to help people who don't believe in help. My job as a schoolteacher is not to teach autonomy, leadership, effectiveness and creativity, critical thinking, expression, logic, etc. My job as a schoolteacher was to feed them photocopied 'past-year questions'. There must be a reason why schoolteachers are paid so little - we are assembly line workers, not knowledge workers or investors. Schoolteachers are not required to think ahead of the curve and prepare learners of the same! I was in the wrong profession and I knew it that day.

And so, as a peace offering, I told them this : If you want to score well in any examination, 'have an end in mind.' It sounds like something out of a Stephen Covey programme but being a teacher also means we cannot separate who we are from what we teach. I am essentially a devout follower of EFFECTIVE LEARNING for life and yet I am being asked to fulfill the requests of ineffective learners.

And so I tailored it this way : Who is at the end of an examination? The examiner. What does the examiner want? Who is this examiner serving the needs of? The question writers. Who are the question writers serving? A curriculum, benchmark, etc. Who came up with the curriculum, benchmark? A committee. Who elected the committee?....and so on and so forth until you have a view from the top. Once you understand the whole point of the examination, you can zoom out and THINK like the END OF THE LINE - the philosophy that grounded the entire examination structure on. Look for the thread of what was the purpose of examination, what criteria being used to select content, select question difficulty, select marking benchmarks, etc.

I have been using this 'saving line' ever since I was a primary school girl. I don't look at what the teacher is teaching this week, this semester, this exam. I look at the entire purpose of undergoing the learning. The great part is that scoring no longer was a question of gambling but a question of desire. The flipside is I found so many inconsistencies between Learning and Schooling.

They don't teach these things in school but they might as well since we're so exam-oriented. It helped me score in every exam even those I'm taking as an adult - provided it was an exam I had a desire to score in. My desire ebbs and rises because I generally dislike the idea of examination. If you are in control of your own learning, you will find it extremely distasteful to compete with other people for 'a given score' decided by a complete stranger.

I sometimes disagree with how an examiner wants to mark me and I am willing to forsake the structures of marking in order to make my point to the examiner. In my SPM Moral paper, for instance, I skewered the points I was supposed to make so I could argue about a particular philosophy I had which could tie into the question being asked. While most of my classmates who were trying to give the right answer got P7 and P8, I somehow managed to get a C6 from a sympathizing examiner. My intention was to FAIL Pendidikan Moral to stand by my conviction that the testing does NOTHING to build morality and social consciousness.

I used to also fail Sejarah during school because I simply refused to memorize names, facts and dates while the teacher insisted on testing our memories of power. I fail every monthly test because it made no sense to me to test history based on chapters. Let me make a point here that I don't associate 'failing' with 'failure.' Because I am unafraid of 'failing' I became a very succesful learner. If, after personal reflection, I have evidence that what I'm about to do is merely aping and not learnig, I will sabotage my own exams by doing things such as passing up a blank answer sheet as protest. That was the only way I can 'fail' and call attention to my learning needs. If you are fearful of failing and then you do fail, you then become powerless to change. But if you are unafraid of failing and you look failure in the eyes and say, "I don't think this is right" then you become absolutely empowered. If I am learning effectively and my teachers know I know my stuff and I have 'potential', it will force them to think about their approaches to teaching and testing. Unfortunately, most people ALLOW failure to define them, rather than use failing as a tool to say, "Hmm, look, this way of teaching and testing is not effective for me."

I can hear howls of protest that 'schools don't allow you to do that.' I was a school student and I did that and I leveraged it to my advantage that til this day, learning comes easily to me. The only power schools have is the power we give to it, the power our parents' (well, now that I'm a parent) tax dollars give to it. Don't blame the school or the exam-orientation this country is taking. Blame yourself for playing to it. I can see that the government is proactive in its approach to try and mitigate this. Not once have I blamed the Education Ministry for all this 'exam-pressure' and exam-suicides. However, I do blame Teacher Training Colleges for not being attractive enough for anyone but the lowest denomination of society's intellect. When you staff school with people who are low achievers with low confidence, you will see them try to live vicariously through their students' academic achievements. Most Chinese-school teachers I have come across have one thing in common : A damaged self-esteem. They pass this philosophy on to their students. This is also reflected in most parents who found schooling difficult. They now try and live through their children with the excuse that they are doing this for the child's future. Of course if you dig further (psychologically) you know the only thing these parents and teachers are doing is to psychologically damage these children because they themselves are damaged goods. It is a self-perpetuating cycle. I wished the Education Minister would simply have the guts to call a spade a spade. But we all know that in our country, the Education Minister's portfolio is just a stepping stone. No Education Minister would want to sabotage the goodwill the Rakyat have for him by saying, "It's your own fault lah. That's why I send my children overseas."

Eventhough this would sound kinda corny at this juncture, we must, in a way, "Dare to Fail." I am not talking about the view of not being so aversed to failure and risk-taking. I am talking more about using FAILURE as a weapon to right a wrong. Becase I have always been a successful learner, I find it hard to understand the low self-esteem that comes with 'failing' and have spent a good part of my life trying to understand the process. The search became one of the dominos that laid the path for me to 'evolve' into a teacher.

Perhaps I should illustrate another example of how to use Failing as a weapon for empowerment. See, I felt that the learning of History should be about the ability to connect events over a timeline and see how one event gives rise to the other and other and to string that thread over millenia and through other fields of study like Science, warfare, economics, etc if necessary. To me, history was not about memorizing at all, but the acquisition of a Mind's Eye that can transcend through the movement of time to find evidence. I always told my teacher, "Look, if I ever became a historian and I needed a date, I'd pick out a reference book from the library." I suppose it was the influence of watching Indiana Jones! Fortunately for me, even when my Sejarah teacher didn't agree with me, the examiner did and I effortlessly scored an A1 without any 'drilling'.

My advice is to first of all, forget about the exam and focus on the learning. Focus on what clues you can discover about your own abilities through the learning of each thing. Focus on how you can EXPAND, intellectually, emotionally and spiritually. The exam results gets you nowhere in life by itself, but learning, even if the exam gives you an F, will stay with you and increase in value like compound interest. However, if, like me, you occassioanlly want to 'score' as a challenge to yourself, then start with the end in mind : Look at what the testing is for.

You might think - "As if the examiners will tell you why they are designing an exam and how they're doing it." Well, that's understandable if you've not undergone formal training as an educator. If you have, you will have a big picture of curriculum and testing design and you will see that it is A PREREQUISITE for exam-designers to JUSTIFY AND EXPLAIN and make transparent how and why they are setting what and what questions in such and such difficulty or structure and by what reasons they are making/recommending marking benchmarks. There are hundreds upon thousands of paper-trail before an exam is rolled-out, from research to design to implementation.

The only reason why most Malaysian students believe examiners are wolves out to make a killing is because that's the sort of person their teacher is. They have teachers who don't have the first clue about testing design and thus want to 'trick' them by testing something in a way that is inconsistent with the way it is being tested. And then there are teachers who cheat in testing by pre-teaching specifically what is to be tested on. Now you see why I absolutely do not believe in exams and tests as benchmarks of learning. It is EASY to manipulate results. Schools ALLOW coaching to the exam. Fortunately for me, not all my teachers were like that and I learned the virtues of learning from them. And fortunately for the rest of us, examiners have to have a paper-trail that does not include sophisticated ways of 'tricking' students. In instances when we think a question at a standards-based exam is 'tricky', it is more likely that they are testing a skill we lack; i.e. the ability to see details or to think out of the box.

So a final word : If the only END IN MIND you can think of is not Lifelong Learning but the next exam, then that END IN MIND is to think like an examiner.

2 comments:

  1. Wowh. i like this article. we have the same opinion about learning history. I like that. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one AWESOME article! Thumbs up!!!

    ReplyDelete